Due to ongoing safety concerns related to COVID-19, we have decided that the remainder of our 2020-21 season will be online.
Online Saturday Rehearsal Format
Weekly online rehearsals will last one to two hours, depending on the age and level of students. Each session is divided into three parts:
- Full-ensemble work with the group’s conductor, including directed practice and structured ensemble play-along. Click here to learn about our conducting team. We are excited to announce that Dr. Gómez will conduct Interlude Orchestra this season.
- Studio class with coaches including Oregon Symphony musicians and MYS conductors. Students will break into sectional instrument groups where they play for each other and receive live feedback as they work on their ensemble repertoire.
- Full-ensemble wrap-up with age & level-appropriate content, ranging from ear training and how to tune your instrument (for younger students), to music history and analysis (for more advanced ensembles)
Students will have the opportunity to “hang out” before and after rehearsals at the Zoom “room” just like they would before and after in-person rehearsals (with an adult group manager present). Providing an avenue to see friends and make new ones is important.
Rehearsals on December 12 & 19 will transition to Winter/Spring Term repertoire. Tuition for Winter/Spring Term will be announced once we know whether rehearsals will return to an in-person format, and is due December 12th.
Recording Days and Concerts
Rehearsals will prepare students to create performance videos on two specific “recording days” scheduled during regular rehearsal times on Saturday, November 7 and Saturday, December 5. Students will meet with Dr. Gomez to receive how-to-tips and instruction. In preparation for recording, Dr. Gómez will offer a live-streamed session for MYS families where he will offer tips and answer questions.
Virtual Concerts will be broadcast on the MYS YouTube channel on November 21 (Fall Concert) and December 23 (Holiday Spectacular). The fall concert will end with a rousing rendition of Beethoven’s Ode to Joy, performed by all MYS ensembles. Our first ever Holiday Spectacular will include season favorites and fun special guests.
Our Fall program will provide students with a place to stay connected to their music and to their friends, while working on repertoire that includes classical masterworks and new music by young and diverse composers from Portland and beyond. Repertoire will be selected that is conducive to a successful online learning and performance experience.
Expanded World-Class Faculty
In addition to our excellent team of conductors, MYS is adding new core faculty comprised primarily of Oregon Symphony musicians. These coaches will work with students in small groups in a “studio class” format, every week, during part of rehearsal. In addition, through a Master Class Series, special guests will join us from the world’s best orchestras and conservatories, such as New England Conservatory, San Francisco Conservatory, Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University and the Shepherd School of Music at Rice University.
Beyond the music, MYS is partnering with youth orchestras from around the world (Mexico, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, Holland, Thailand and Germany) to offer selected students the opportunity to participate in our online program. This kind of collaboration adds richness to our own students’ musical and intercultural experience, as we were able to witness during MYS’s 2019 tour to Italy and Austria.
We will continue to offer online Music Theory classes for students of all ages and levels. This year we are excited to add a fourth level of theory, Basic Composition, led by Young Composers Project faculty. Students who successfully completed a theory class last season are eligible to join the next level this year. A placement assessment will be given to new theory students. Theory costs $110 for the year.
Tuition and Tuition Assistance
To ensure our program remains accessible, we are keeping tuition as low as possible as we engage an increased number of exceptional artists to work with our students. Winter/Spring Tuition for Winter Start students is $370 and due December 12 or one week after a student’s first rehearsal for those starting after Dec. 12th and is payable online or by check. Tuition for Overture Strings is $355. Sibling discounts are available.
Tuition assistance and installment plans are available. See the MYS website for more information or contact Sarah at email@example.com with questions.
- Internet Access. High-speed access is recommended.
- Zoom. All rehearsals, studio classes, and masterclasses will be held through the teleconferencing app Zoom. Participants will need to have a free Zoom account; no account upgrades are necessary. Desktop or laptop computers are recommended, but mobile devices are also usable. Use of the computer or phone’s camera will be also necessary to participate via Zoom.
- Musical Instrument. You must have your instrument and all necessary accessories.
- Ability to Record Video. Each musician will be asked to record themselves on video throughout the season. This will require simultaneous use of two devices: a computer/smartphone and camera/smartphone. Headphones or earbuds will also be necessary for this step.