Metropolitan Youth Symphony educates, develops and promotes young musicians.
MYS provides music education and performance opportunities for young musicians of all ages and levels of experience. Now in our 43rd year, we enroll over 500 youth from the Portland Metro and SW Washington areas in 12 ensembles including orchestra, band, jazz, and strings. Additionally, MYS offers theory classes and a Beginning Strings program for students at under-served schools who are learning an instrument for the first time. MYS has a strong financial aid program that welcomes all students regardless of their financial circumstances, and a school outreach program that performs 15 concerts each season to 5,000 local school students.
Metropolitan Youth Symphony was founded in 1974 by Maestro Lajos Balogh with 16 string players and the group grew quickly to 35 members by their first performance in 1975. MYS was founded on the belief that the study of music is an integral part of a child becoming a well-rounded adult. Not only does music promote intellectual and aesthetic knowledge, it also builds leadership skills and creates a supportive, community environment.
Founded in response to the community’s need for musical enrichment, MYS has:
- Contributed the musical development of over ten thousand of musicians.
- Performed hundreds of youth concerts all over the northwest.
- Performed outreach concerts to thousands of students in under-served schools
- Embarked on tours around the world.
- Awarded tuition assistance to every young musician in need.
- Developed volunteer support that incorporates more than 100 people in many different capacities.
In looking ahead, MYS continues to move our long-term goals forward by:
- Continuing to provide opportunities for young musicians to perform music at the highest possible level.
- Giving young musicians enhanced study of their respective instruments.
- Developing a working chamber music program.