March 3, 2024 7:30 PM
For “Rooted,” Symphony Orchestra is proud to present Pando, commissioned from composer and Oregon Symphony’s principal cellist Nancy Ives. This piece draws inspiration from its namesake Pando, the world’s largest tree. When Ives spoke with MYS musicians last season about themes they would like to see explored in the commission, the natural world and climate change stood out, kicking off the creation of Pando.
Program highlights include:
- Pando by Nancy Ives
- Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 (also known as the Pastoral Symphony)
- World premiere of The Steadfast Tin Soldier by student composer Charlie Martin as part of The Authentic Voice student commissioning series
- MYS Concerto Competition Strings Category Winner Ian Ko performing Cello Concerto, Mov 1 by Édouard Lalo
- Performance by MYS’ Concert Orchestra
Symphony Orchestra will perform Pando as part of its international tour to Spain and Portugal in July 2024.
Tickets are also available on the Portland’5 website or in person at the Newmark Box Office on the day of the concert.
June 16, 2024 7:30 PM
Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
For its season finale “Landscapes,” Symphony Orchestra is excited to present an immersive lineup of pieces, including:
- Portland Beauty, by award-winning composer and MYS conductor Giancarlo Castro D’Addona
- The world premiere of a piece by student composer Amir Avsker as part of The Authentic Voice commissioning series
- Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring: Suite
- Gerónimo Giménez’s Intermezzo from La Boda De Luis Alonso
You will also have the chance to hear performances from one of this year’s Concerto Competition winners, as well as MYS’ Sinfonietta Orchestra!
Tickets are also available on the Portland’5 website or in person at the Schnitzer Box Office which opens at 2 hours before the concert.
Looking for Community Concert tickets? Follow this link to our Community Concert page.
Downtown Series Tickets
- Tickets are available on the MYS website until 1:00pm the last weekday before the concert. After that time, you will need to purchase your tickets on the Portland’5 website or at the door of the venue on the night of the event.
- All tickets in Portland’5 venues are reserved seating. Seating maps provided on the MYS website may be used to request seats however, in some cases you may be given seats near your original selection. In that event, we will contact you to inform you of the change.
- Tickets purchased within 10 days of the concert will be automatically held at the MYS Will Call table.
- Downtown tickets purchased via the MYS website are physical printed tickets, email delivery is not available.
- Student, Alumni, and Senior (65+) discounts are offered for Downtown Concerts. Current MYS students are free.
- MYS students must have a ticket for the Downtown Concerts, please remember to select the MYS Student ticket type and use the discount code found in the weekly announcements to claim one free ticket per student.
- MYS Student tickets also may be claimed in person on the day of the concert at the Portland’5 Box Office. Free MYS Student tickets may not be redeemed online from Portland’5. These free tickets are not available for Dress Circle (Schnitzer) or 1st Balcony Boxes and Rows A & B (Newmark).
- The MYS Student discount is for use by currently enrolled students only, it is not available for friends and family.
- ADA seating is available, please contact the MYS Office 503-239-4566, or the Portland’5 Box Office for assistance.
COVID-19 Concert Attendance Policy
- Masks are optional for all MYS concerts.
- Follow this link for more information about the Portland’5 COVID policy.
This policy is subject to change. Updates will be posted on this page: https://www.portland5.com/covid-19-update