MYS COVID Protocols
Update – November 2021
The following protocols have been established to create the safest possible environment for the MYS community as we begin the 2021-2022 season and will help to ensure an uninterrupted and high-quality musical experience for our students. A fully vaccinated community will also help to protect younger students who are not yet eligible for the vaccine. MYS is unique to many schools as we have vaccine-eligible and vaccine-ineligible students together at the same location, and in some cases, in the same ensemble.
We look forward to returning to our normal way of operating as soon as possible.
New information for students 11 and younger:
To continue to provide the safest environment possible for the MYS community, we are extending our requirement for full vaccination with the Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccines to all students ages 5-11. Proof of the first vaccination must be received at MYS by Wednesday, January 5th in order to participate in rehearsal on January 8th. When your second vaccination is complete, please send proof of full vaccination. You may upload your vaccination card using the form below or mail a hard copy to the MYS office, but it must be received by Wednesday January 5th.
MYS staff, artistic team, volunteers, and eligible students are required to be fully vaccinated with the Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccines to attend in-person rehearsals. Students who are in the process of being vaccinated and have received at least one dose of the vaccine, may also start rehearsing. Please provide proof of full vaccination or proof of your first vaccination to MYS by Wednesday, September 1st in order to attend the first rehearsal on September 11th.
Proof of vaccination may be a photo of your vaccination card, or documentation from your doctor. If you have already registered, you can upload your vaccination document via the form below. If you have not yet registered, upload your vaccination documentation via the MYS Medical form upon registering. You may also mail a copy to the MYS office at the address below, but it must be received by Wednesday September 1st. When your second vaccination is complete, please send proof of full vaccination.
Vaccination exceptions exist for medical or religious reasons. Please contact Diana Scoggins, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request for exemption.
Masks and Social Distancing
- Masks are required while indoors at MYS activities, even if you are vaccinated. Effective 8/27, the State of Oregon also requires masks in outdoor settings where 6-foot physical distancing is not possible, regardless of vaccination status.
- Brass and woodwind players must fully cover their nose with a mask when playing. Special masks can be purchased here, or you can cut a hole in a regular mask for your mouth while keeping the nose covered. MYS has disposable masks available at rehearsal that can be altered for playing. Brass and woodwind players are required to use a full mask when not playing.
- Brass and woodwind players (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, French horn, trombone, tuba, saxophone) must use bell covers which can be purchased here. (These covers are in high demand, some may also be found on Amazon, or other online music stores.)
- MYS will have a limited number of masks and bell covers at rehearsal available for emergency student use.
- Social distancing of at least 3 feet is required at all MYS activities. We will set up chairs accordingly for rehearsals, which means there are no stand partners. Brass and woodwinds should be seated 6-10 ft. apart.
- When students sign into rehearsal each week, they will also note/acknowledge that that they are not experiencing COVID symptoms (a list of symptoms will be visible for students to review).
- MYS will ensure surfaces are cleaned per CDC/EPA COVID guidelines and will have hand sanitizer available.
- MYS will open windows and doors where possible to promote airflow as well as make sure HVAC systems are operating.
- As in normal years, students are expected to bring a music stand each week. All musicians will sit individually and must have their own stand.
- If a student exhibits COVID symptoms while at MYS, they will be set apart from the rest of the group and parents will be notified immediately.
- Please let us know as soon as possible if your student has tested positive for COVID. The student’s identity will be kept confidential.
- If a student, staff, artistic team or volunteer, tests positive for COVID, MYS will notify impacted families immediately. The infected person is expected to follow Oregon Health Authority Guidelines regarding quarantine.
- If you are not feeling well, please fill out an absence form and choose to stay at home.
We are confident that together we can create a safe place for our students to flourish this season!