MYS COVID Protocols – Updated: 9/23/22
The MYS COVID-19 protocols will be updated as needed throughout the season.
Audience Concert Protocols
Find COVID-19 policies and guidelines for attending MYS Concerts here. More information about Portland’5 COVID-19 policy may be found here.
For the 2022-2023 Season, MYS is strongly recommending vaccinations and boosters for MYS students. Students are asked about their vaccination status when registering.
MYS staff, artistic team, and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated.
Health and Safety Protocols
- Update! Masking: After careful consideration, we are now making masks optional for all MYS-related gatherings, indoor or outdoor. We will continue to revisit our policy as the season continues. Students are encouraged to continue masking if they choose to and extra masks will continue to be available at all rehearsal and concert sites. We also encourage students to follow their conductor’s wishes regarding masking. Students returning from COVID quarantine should follow the CDC guidelines regarding masking.
- Brass and woodwind players (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, French horn, trombone, tuba, saxophone)
- Special Masks – Special masks are recommended but not required while playing. Special masks can be purchased here, or you can cut a hole in a regular mask for your mouth while keeping the nose covered. MYS has disposable masks available at rehearsal that can be altered for playing. Brass and woodwind players are required to use a full mask when not playing.
- Bell Covers – Bell covers are recommended but not required. Musicians are responsible for acquiring their own covers.
- Hand Sanitizer is available at all rehearsal sites.
- Ventilation – MYS will open windows and doors where possible to promote airflow as well as make sure HVAC systems are operating.
- MYS strongly recommends vaccinations to all students and audience members.
- Masking is optional at all MYS Concerts.
- Please find current COVID-19 concert attendee guidelines on the MYS Concert page.
- If you are not feeling well, please fill out an absence form and choose to stay at home.
- If a student exhibits COVID symptoms while at MYS, they will be set apart from the rest of the group and parents will be notified immediately.
- Please let us know as soon as possible if your student has tested positive for COVID. The student’s identity will be kept confidential.
- If a student, staff, artistic team or volunteer, tests positive for COVID, MYS will notify impacted families immediately. The infected person is expected to follow CDC Guidelines regarding quarantine.
Returning to Rehearsal after COVID
Students who have had a confirmed case of COVID-19 should follow the CDC guidelines for isolation, quarantine, and masking. If a student is eligible to leave quarantine they should remain masked at rehearsals through day 10 unless they have had 2 negative COVID tests 48hrs apart. If a student is within this 10 day period and is unable to remain masked for the entire rehearsal due to the type of instrument they play (wind/brass), they should remain home until after the 10 day period or they test negative as described above and are eligible to end masking.
We welcome questions! Please contact [email protected] or Diana Scoggins at [email protected].