On Saturday morning, advanced percussion students conveniently have the opportunity to participate in both the MYSticks percussion ensemble during the first part of the morning, and Symphony Orchestra during second half of the morning. Advanced students also have the unique chance to perform with MYSfits, MYS’ advanced self-conducted string ensemble, and the advanced Jazz band during the concert season.
The Percussion Studio is offered to percussion students across all MYS orchestras and bands. This class will include technique for different orchestral percussion instruments, care and maintenance of instruments, orchestral excerpts, orchestral and band etiquette, and any other relevant topics.
One year of experience is required. As of August 16th, auditions are by appointment only. Please call Production Manager, Chris Whittemore at (503) 239-4566 to schedule an audition, and fill out the online registration form. Financial aid is available and MYS is happy to assist with private lesson opportunities.
For Current MYS Percussionists
Click the button below to access the MYS Percussion Resources page, with information from MYS Director of Percussion Michael Roberts.
Saturday Percussion Schedule
- 9:30am - 10:45am: MYSticks rehearsal or Symphony Orchestra sectional.
- 11:00am - 12:30pm: Orchestra
Intermediate and Entry Level Students
- 9:30/10:30am - 11:00am: Orchestra Rehearsal
- 11:00am - 12:30pm: Percussion Studio Class (rotating attendance by Concert Orchestra and Interlude Orchestra students, open to Band students if available)
- 1:00pm - 2:30pm: Periodic Sectionals for Concert and Symphonic Band Percussionists